Backpacking the beautiful island of the Philippines is truly a rewarding experience. It’s true that it’s not easy to go around this country, but the remarkable tourist destinations it offers will surely make you want to come back. So if you are planning to travel here, there are 8 Philippine destinations for first time backpackers you need to see this year.
- City of Manila. Since the city capital of the Philippines is Manila, chances are you will be starting of your backpacking adventure here. A few days in the city will expose you to the slums, Intramuros’ Walled City, Taal Volcano, and many other nearby tourist spots. Check out Makati and Ermita for guesthouses, hostels, nigh entertainment, and booking offices.
- Mount Pulag. From Manila, this is a 6-hour bus ride. Once you arrived at the top, you will be welcomed by the beautiful view of the clouds. Although it’s not really a mountain, trekking to the mountaintop can take two days or so. You can never get lost with the clear trails and professional guides available.
- Sagada. From Baguio, this is a 4-hour bus ride and an overnight ride from Manila. In the Philippines, this is popular as the “adventure capital” because of the unique exploration you will get in Sagada. You can also enjoy the not-so nightlife here at the Kimchi Bar. Check out Crystal Cave for a memorable backpacking experience.
- Puerto Princesa, Palawan. You’ve surely heard about the growing tourism of Palawan from the news, magazines, and even on social media. Spending a few days in this island will introduce you to the natural beauty of Palawan. Chill out at the impressive hostels, laze around the beach, and try some exciting activities you’ve never done before.
- Cebu. The Queen City of the South is another Philippine destination you don’t want to miss. Visit Oslob, Bantayan Island, and Malapascua for an ultimate backpacking experience in the Philippines. The city is less chaotic compared to Manila, so it’s perfect for first time backpackers.
- Boracay. Who don’t get excited when they hear about Boracay? This paradise is still one of the best tourist destinations in the country. Foreign visitors love this for its great nightlife. Get an awesome island lifestyle taste here and you would surely don’t want to leave the island.
- Siargao. Oh, Siargao! This place is not yet well-visited like Boracay, but the whole experience is truly something to remember. If a laid-back island lifestyle is all you want, this is the place for you. The lagoons, the beaches, and quaint islands, and the friendly locals will make your backpacking experience unforgettable. Don’t miss this place when you visit the Philippines.
- Bicol. Want to eat chili ice cream, pinangat, and pili? Well, these are only some of the highlights when you visit Bicol. The perfect cone Mount Mayon is also waiting for you in Legazpi. You can trek there but if you don’t want to climb, you can just ride an ATV at the base of Mt. Mayon for some thrilling adventures. Also, you can swim with the whale sharks in Donsol, Sorsogon.